[OSM-legal-talk] UK Public Rights of Way

antonys antony.scott at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 17:53:04 BST 2009

I'm aware that there have been several postings on this kind of question, but
I would appreciate some advice/guidance if possible.  I'm engaged in a
discussion with my local authority, from whom I am trying to get a digital
version of the Public Rights of Way map (PROW) for use on OSM. They have
refused, on the basis that there are known errors in the data, and "There
are risks for a local authority in releasing erroneous prow data.  People or
bodies might make decisions on the basis of erroneous information and
subsequently be entitled to compensation."

Is this reasonable, especially bearing in mind that their own paper version
of the 'definitive map', which is the only version accessible to the public,
dates from 1956? My argument is that they could release the current
(digital) version for OSM use, and instantly (or as soon as the data was
uploaded/traced), provide the public with a better version, at almost zero
cost.

I am pursuing this through my local councillor, and also considering an FOI
request, but would be interested to hear of any similar work on UK PROW
issues, and in particular of any success stories or legal opinion on the
liability issue one way or another.

thanks
Antony Scott