[OSM-legal-talk] Using img OSM data

David Soria Sánchez mapilok at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 00:04:46 BST 2010

I wrote the next in general forum, but then I've found this mailing list and
I though it could be better to write here:

Hello, I've just register in OSM and I hope I could someday contribute to
this project with my own maps. But now, I write you because I have a doubt
about using IMG OSM data. I have downloaded an IMG map from
http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php

Im not used with OSM mapping tools, I usually work with Mapedit and
cgpsmapper to make my own garmin maps. That's why I wanted to decompile to
MP format one of those IMG maps in http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php in
order to add some POI and more info to make a garmin map for personal use
and make some tests with decompiling routing information.

The fact is that I talked about this in a mapping forum specialized in
garmin map making but at once, some people got agressive with me and they
insinuated that Im trying to stole intellectual property, that I should
never decompile an IMG map, that Im not doing an acceptable copyright
approach and more things like this. But they never ask me what the maps
were...

Ive seen that those IMG maps are licensed under GPL V2 or Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license and I thoght I could use them in this
way, but maybe Im wrong because I actually hadn't payed much much attention
to these legal aspects. So, i wonder if I have done something that I
shouldn't, because, I sincerely dont know If im allowed to do that
decompiling of OSM img maps, otherwise,  then I apologize.

Regards

david