[OSM-legal-talk] Using img OSM data

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Sat Apr 17 16:41:10 BST 2010

davidss wrote:
> I have absolutely no experience with OSM sort of data and its mapping tools
> (I have just registered in OSM few mins ago),  Im used to work with MP
> format in Mapedit and cgpsmapper. For sure decompiling IMG is not the best
> way but I found that link with those free download IMG maps under CC-BY-SA
> 2.0 and I went ahead decompiling them. Anyway, I hope to learn more about
> OSM and I hope to learn a more efficient way to use that data, but by know,
> it is enough for me.
>
> On a different but also legal topic, I have done some good MP maps based on
> series 1:5000 and 1:25000 from
> http://www.icc.es/eng/Home-ICC/Home/Cartography/Products . It's goverment
> map data from my country. You can see at the bottom of the page the Legal
> Notice (probably you need google translator). I wonder if I could share my
> maps with OSM in accordance with that legal notice

The legal notice on the bottom of the map makes it clear that their data
is not available for use in OSM. It has a personal-only, non-commercial
use clause which is not acceptable.

In general OSM is not about using other people's data (though we do
sometimes import data from other sources with their permission) it is
about gathering the data for ourselves. That way we know it is correct
and up-to-date and that we can use the data freely and without any legal
problems.

Cheers, Chris