[OSM-legal-talk] viral attribution and ODbL

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 00:35:13 BST 2010

2010/4/19 Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org>:
> do we really want to require the 38th party down the line to still
> attribute OSM no matter how diluted the OSM content has become?

yes. Why should it have become diluted? If you give this up, you do
almost the same then releasing PD, and that's indeed what you are best
known to advocate for.

> We have a well working culture of attribution in science, where you
> usually quote the source you took something from, but not the source
> behind the source behind the source.

yes, but usually you try to quote the first and if you could find the
places where he copied you would probably cite them and not him.

cheers,
Martin