[OSM-legal-talk] CC-BY-SA and contractual obligations

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Tue Apr 20 21:38:28 BST 2010

On 20/04/10 21:24, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Do you agree that this is all perfectly legal - i.e. that CC-BY-SA
> governs only the copyright side of things, but the contractual side is a
> wholly different beast? Or do you think that by doing the above, I would
> somehow illegally circumvent the CC-BY-SA "don't add restrictions" rule?

Ask CC. :-)

IANAL, TINLA. It doesn't sound like an additional restriction *on the
use of the work itself*, and so I don't think it breaks BY-SA.

Ongoing access to the service and any work that may be recived through
it under BY-SA in the future is not the same as the ongoing freedom to
use any work that one may already have received under BY-SA through the
service.

It's a slightly uncool contract, though. ;-)

- Rob.