[OSM-legal-talk] Viral can be nice

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 01:51:26 BST 2010

On 22 April 2010 01:26, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> This is a serious limitation and leads to many pretty maps *not* being
> made, or being made with non-OSM data. "How is that bad"? You tell me.
> Given a choice of
>
> (a) all maps can be made, but sharing them is a the maker's discretion
>
> versus
>
> (b) only some maps can be made, but once they are made they will always
> be shared
>
> I'd certainly find (a) to be more encouraging to creativity.

Yeah, but it's a chicken and egg problem.  You choose (a), someone
makes a super complete map under a license which means we can't use it
as a source for adding more data, and you get "Only some maps can be
made" because there isn't enough data, OSM isn't useful.  You choose
(b) and everyone is forced to share their data and you can say "more
(all) maps can be made", there are more sources people can use.

Cheers