[OSM-legal-talk] Viral can be nice

jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 22 08:50:50 BST 2010

2010/4/22 Dirk-Lüder Kreie <osm-list at deelkar.net>

> Am 22.04.2010 02:51, schrieb andrzej zaborowski:
> No other data gatherer in the world has the manpower OSM has. Even if
> our License was to be CC0 or PD, we still would have the best map data
> around, simply because no one could really keep up with us. (Assuming,
> of course, that the majority of future OSM Mappers would find that
> license acceptable).

I would like to say that the sharealike license is what builds trust for me.
As a small contributor at least I know that I will be able to use the
derived works. I really think that the sharealike clause is what builds the
community, it is the glue that holds it together.

For a large player it would be possible to take the data, invest a lot of
resources in making a private branch, and there would be no sharing back.
Stuff like that would really destroy the community.

Only with a sharealike are the small contributing parties the benefactors.

PD CC0 is great for huge organizations to publish data for all to use, but
CCSA is great for building communities.

I can only point out that the GCC compiler would not be what it is today
without the sharealike clause, for that reason it has so many backends and
frontends. Only after alot of fighting with apple/next in the old days did
objective c get added into the gcc.
http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/ObjC2_FAQ#Which_Compiler_Should_I_Use.3F

""The history of Objective-C in GCC is somewhat complicated. Originally,
NeXT was forced to release the original Objective-C front end in order to
comply with the GPL.""

Without such a license there would be no Objective C, there are many other
examples of contributions that are a result of sharealike. I can say that I
have personally invested months of time into openstreetmap and would not
have done so, or have gotten the data contributions without the sharealike
license.

What else would allow all these different companies to donate map data, if
they knew that someone could just "run away with the ball"?

mike