[OSM-legal-talk] Viral can be nice

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Thu Apr 22 10:50:11 BST 2010

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 09:47:47 +0200, Erik Johansson <erjohan at gmail.com>
wrote:

> If ODBL existed in the same variants as CC does, this would be easier.

I support CC very strongly, but I don't recommend licence variants. They
make things even more confusing and incompatible.

OSM can be viewed as layers. There's the points, the ways/routes/paths,
and the rendered maps. This moves from data to design. ODbL covers the
lower, BY-SA can cover the higher. The middle I don't like to think about.
;-)

Data *may* be copyrightable in the US (it depends who you ask), we have
the DB right in the EU, and there are examples of contract law being used
to restrict use of geodata. So users of data are in their wild and natural
state not always unrestricted. The question is whether these restrictions
are bad enough to require the (sledge)hammer of a copyleft or
share-alike-style system.

- Rob.