[OSM-legal-talk] decision removing data

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Wed Aug 4 00:42:35 BST 2010

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 7:18 PM, Heiko Jacobs <heiko.jacobs at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I searched without success in the Wiki
> who official decided, when and *WHY* they decided, that data of
> contributors, who not (can) accept the ODbl, has to be removed.
>
> In
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Open_Database_License/Implementation_Plan&oldid=488199
> up to 2010-06-22 this questions stayed open:
>
> " Week 13 (approximate)
> Final cut-off. Community Question... What do we do with
> the people who have said no or not responded?"
>
> But the discussion (and decision) seems to be much older ...?

The presumption is that contributors who joined under ccbysa only,
have the right to choose whether to proceed under ODbL or not.  Do you
suggest that they should not have a choice?

If the OSMF Board were to decide, "okay, that's it.  All the data is
relicensed" without asking contributors, is that in line with their
mandate to assist OpenStreetMap but not control it?

What would you suggest as an alternative?