[OSM-legal-talk] decision removing data

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Aug 4 13:10:26 BST 2010

Hi,

John Smith wrote:
>> Any such mechanism, in my eyes, need not be 100% perfect; it is sufficient
>> to make a honest attempt at doing the right thing, and if a few things slip
>> through, then fix them in case of complaints.
>
> Which goes against the usual OSM policy of rejecting it if unsure,
> rather than accepting it.

Yes and no. When it comes to using external sources etc., we always say
"when in doubt, don't". But when we have to remove someone's
contributions because of a copyright violation, we usually do exactly
what I have outlined above - make an honest attempt, but accept that a
few fringe cases may remain which we'd then deal with if there is
concrete complaint.

Bye
Frederik