[OSM-legal-talk] decision removing data

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Wed Aug 4 23:25:50 BST 2010

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 4:58 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> We can simply decide to re-license, then ask everyone to agree, then
> disallow contributions from people who haven't agreed. All the time, the
> planet is still under CC-BY-SA. Then we evaluate the losses. Say we find
> that 20% of data has not been relicensed. Ok, we start working on replacing
> that data, using the work of people who are ok with ODbL. After a while,
> only 10% of "old" data is still there. We continue, with the planet still
> under CC-BY-SA. After another while, we have brought down the losses to 1%,
> or 0.1%, or whatever. At that time we throw out the rest and publish the
> planet under ODbL.

Presumably the CC-BY-SA data would be locked, so that it can't be
edited, only deleted and replaced?

I think 20% is a very optimistic estimate of how little data will not
be relicensed.  And keeping the CC-BY-SA data around while you're
making the ODbL data is just going to promote copying.  But otherwise,
seems like the best you can do.

> Who cares if that time is one year in the future?

Who cares if that time is never?