[OSM-legal-talk] decision removing data

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Sat Aug 7 14:16:32 BST 2010

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 3:51 AM, Ed Avis <eda at waniasset.com> wrote:
> Anthony <osm at ...> writes:
>
>>I've pretty much stopped uploading my maps to OSM precisely because of
>>this switch to ODbL.
>
> There isn't a switch to ODbL.  Just a (not very practical IMHO) plan to do so
> at some point in the future, and a (not very convincing) reason why it is
> necessary.  For the time being, we are still working on a free CC-BY-SA map.
> So please continue mapping, as I am doing.

Did you see my addendum?  I don't trust the OSMF to properly remove
all of my work and derivatives of my work if/when they stop releasing
those derivatives under CC-BY-SA.  I don't trust them to do so because
1) they don't have any detailed plans of how they're going to do so;
2) the majority of OSMers seem to be under the impression that the
data loss is not going to be massive; and 3) it's pretty much
impossible - short of starting from a blank slate perhaps plus public
domain data such as TIGER, you're never going to catch a large portion
of derivative works.

Yes, the switch hasn't been made.  But it has been voted on, and there
definitely seems to be a push from some of the leaders of OSM to force
it through now despite the obvious problems.

I'm currently working on a fork.  I think that's the most productive
work I can do with OSM at the moment.  Unfortunately I don't have the
resources right now for a public fork, so unless/until someone with
such resources (*) does step up, my work is going to be mostly
private.

(*) Hosting for a single server with a couple terabytes of hard drive
space would probably do for now.