[OSM-legal-talk] decision removing data

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Sun Aug 8 08:03:49 BST 2010

SteveC writes:
 > As in, why is the PD camp so loud here?

First and foremost, because we believe that all the licensing
kerfluffle will frighten people away from using the map.  Because we
all want a map that will actually be USED by the most people possible.
Because we aren't afraid of forks (people who fork, fork themselves
hardest).  Because if somebody "steals" parts of the map, we will be
able to tell, and won't hesitate to point it out.  Because nobody can
own public domain data; not even somebody who wishes they could slap a
copyright on it and claim it as their own.  Because the ODbL and
CC-By-SA impose a cost on the community.  I mean, if we're going to
get rid of contributors on purpose, then at least let's get rid of the
people who think a reciprocal license solves a problem.

The OSM strength of OSM is not the data; it's the people.  The license
doesn't protect the people; the people protect the people.  Nobody can
can steal, fork, clone, or whatever, our community.

Data is dead; people are alive. Let's worry more about the people than
the license on the data.

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog