[OSM-legal-talk] decision removing data

Dirk-Lüder Kreie osm-list at deelkar.net
Tue Aug 10 01:44:01 BST 2010

Am 10.08.2010 02:26, schrieb John Smith:
> 2010/8/10 Dirk-Lüder Kreie <osm-list at deelkar.net>:
>> The Ideal would be PD/CC0, because that wouldn't limit us in so many ways.
>
> That's not true, it wouldn't limit what terms could be placed on end
> users of the data, it would increasingly limit what contributors can
> do.

I can still use Yahoo! Imagery, I can still go out with a GPS unit and I
can still map stuff relative to existing OSM data.

I can't take data from sources with incompatible licenses, but that is
the state of things today. Some communities have had better luck with
their donors agreeing to CC-BY-SA, which happens to be compatible with
our current license (being the same) but others would require OSM to be
CC-BY-SA-NC, so they can import their stuff. So those limits are just a
gradual change not a fundamental one.

Lobby your Government to put map data into the public domain if you
don't like or are unable to map your country yourself, like it's the
case with US federal government data. That would really solve rather
more problems.

Yes, easier said than done. But in my opinion a free and open
geodatabase of the world is only free if it doesn't impose limits on
it's uses. That's basically the same what Teleatlas and Navteq do.

--
Dirk-Lüder "Deelkar" Kreie
Bremen - 53.0901°N 8.7868°E

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.