[OSM-legal-talk] decision removing data

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 01:49:39 BST 2010

2010/8/10 Dirk-Lüder Kreie <osm-list at deelkar.net>:
> Lobby your Government to put map data into the public domain if you
> don't like or are unable to map your country yourself, like it's the
> case with US federal government data. That would really solve rather
> more problems.

Apart from the US govt, how many governments have done that exactly?

> Yes, easier said than done. But in my opinion a free and open
> geodatabase of the world is only free if it doesn't impose limits on
> it's uses. That's basically the same what Teleatlas and Navteq do.

If OSM wants to be "free" why is most of the software GPL'd and not
BSD'd etc etc etc... I don't think getting into a debate over personal
opinions of "free" is helpful at all, we see things differently let's
just leave it at that...