[OSM-legal-talk] [Talk-ca] new brunswick mappers

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 01:24:38 BST 2010

Hi Bernie,
I must apologies,  I responded to the message on my mobile & too quick
without reading the message in its entirety.

On Behalf of the OSM Canada community, i'd like to thank you for
providing this data to the OSM community.   From what i can see, with
this data announcement, shows how the Province of New Brunswick, is in
line with todays fast-changing advancements of technology.
(Sometimes so fast that it remains difficult for even the industry to
keep up with this globally changing GeoSpatial  environment.)

(copied from the website)
http://www.snb.ca/e/1000/1000-3/e/1000-3_001_e.asp

"Background

Since late 2006, the Government of New Brunswick has been working
toward implementing its renewed vision for geomatics in New Brunswick.
The culmination of this effort is a collaboratively built and
maintained Spatial Data Infrastructure (SDI) for New Brunswick, now
referred to as GeoNB.

Simply put, an SDI is a shared data environment that improves access
to geographic information; however, the GeoNB initiative involves much
more than simply sharing data. It also involves sharing tools,
technology and services (or applications) built as part of, or linked
into, the core infrastructure, along with guiding principles, policies
and data standards.

As one of its main objectives, GeoNB will facilitate the sharing of
geographic data and services among government departments,
non-government organizations, industry, not-for-profit companies,
academia, and the general public. GeoNB will even share the
infrastructure it is built on by making services and applications
available to users. GeoNB will evolve and grow as user needs change
and various components (i.e. data sets, tools, services, partners,
participants, etc.) are added over time.

Although a great deal of work has already been done to lay the
foundation and build a collaborative environment, the release of the
GeoNB Map Viewer is, for many stakeholders, the first tangible
deliverable of the overall GeoNB initiative.
"

> On 8/10/10, Connors, Bernie (SNB) <Bernie.Connors at snb.ca> wrote:
>> Sam,

(snip)
>>       We are providing a free online mapping tool called the GeoNB Map Viewer
>> http://www.snb.ca/geonb/.  Please feel free to use the maps here as a
>> reference.  The road data displayed in the GeoNB Map Viewer comes from
>> several sources and is not one homogeneous dataset.  *Most* of the data
>> displayed in the GeoNB Map Viewer is governed by an unrestricted use data
>> agreement: http://geonb.snb.ca/geonb/Agreement_en.pdf

quote from pdf

"3. Protection and Acknowledgement of Source
1. Subject to this Agreement, SNB hereby grants to the Licensee a
non-exclusive, fully
paid, royalty-free right and licence to exercise all Intellectual
Property Rights in the
Data. This includes the right to use, incorporate, sublicense (with
further right of
sublicensing), modify, improve, further develop, and distribute the Data; and to
manufacture and / or distribute Derivative Products derived from or
for use with the
Data."

ensure that the enterpretation of it is the same as the (already
approved by the OSM Foundation) GeoBase / GeoGratis / StatsCan  data
licences, and has the same intent.

I have created a wiki page for this data & announcement details.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GeoNB

Work is already underway to analyze this data, and see the exact
details and how it can be added to the map.
 As you already know, there is currently an abundance of  data sources
 (from Natural resources Canada - Geogratis among others), which are
already in progress.   However, as this community is far reaching, and
leverages the multiple talents of many users, im sure that there will
be more involvement locally.

For those in New Brunswick, and are interested in helping out with the
efforts, please add your username to the list.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Canada:New_Brunswick

>>       I have also added the GeoNB map services to arcgis.com.  At arcgis.com you
>> can combine the GeoNB map services with the OSM data and do some comparisons
>> by using the transparency controls.  Just search for "GeoNB" at arcgis.com
>> and you will find our data.

The Wiki page for ArcGIS will be updated (as soon as i can)
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/ArcGIS
As i have recieved reviews (screenshots) from the OSM-editor
attachment with the software.  So then those who know how to use
ArcGIS, will be able to work with the data.

>>       I would really like to see some OSM presentations at the upcoming Geomatics
>> Atlantic Conference in Fredericton, Oct 28 and 29.  The call for
>> presentations has been extended:
>> http://www.geomaticsatlantic.com/call-for-papers

This message is forwarded out to others in the OSM Canada Community,
so i hope that others with experience in OSM will be able to attend.

So again, i apologies for my 1st response, as it was not sent with
care.   And want to thank the
Spatial Data Infrastructure (SDI) for New Brunswick, now referred to
as GeoNB.   For making this data available.

Best,
Sam Vekemans
OpenStreetMap Canada Contributor
& working on the Across Canada Trails project
Together mapping the country, coast-to-coast-to-coast