[OSM-legal-talk] Is CC-BY-SA is compatible with ODbL?

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Sat Aug 14 07:33:17 BST 2010

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010, Mike Collinson wrote:
> Personal conclusion: The CC-BY-SA license are great on fully creative
> works.  It was never intended to be applied to highly factual data and
> information, and if it is, it is vague and confusing.  If you believe
> strongly in  pandemic virality, then it is a good thing.  If you believe
> that all the chain of Share-Alike and Attribution should be far more
> constrained, then it is just dangerous and should be avoided. Which is why
> most of us want to move away from it as our own license. Our primary goal
> is disseminating data we collect ourselves.

alternate conclusion,

If you believe, like many data donors, that the attribution must be preserved,
then a licence which incorporates the viral provisions is necessary.

If you believe that the data should be completely freely available then
neither ODBL nor CC-by-SA is appropriate, and a CC0 licence should be
considered.

If your major concern is that improvements to the data should be fed back into
the common pool of data, then CC-by or CC-by-SA would be suitable (and maybe
others)

Please leave out very emotive language like "dangerous" and unproven
assertions like "most of us" without defining "us". I realise that it was
headed "personal conclusion".