[OSM-legal-talk] Simple question about CT

David Groom reviews at pacific-rim.net
Mon Aug 16 11:24:48 BST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Frederik Ramm" <frederik at remote.org>
To: "Licensing and other legal discussions." <legal-talk at openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2010 7:37 AM
Subject: Re: [OSM-legal-talk] Simple question about CT

> Aleksandr,
>
> Aleksandr Dezhin wrote:
>> I registered a separate account for the same email (using the scheme with
>> me+something at gmail.com <mailto:me%2Bsomething at gmail.com>).
>> Will my agreement with the new CT in new account work for my old account?
>
> To the API, that account does not have "the same email" but is completely
> separate. Any license decision you make on one account will not influence
> the other.

As far as the OSM database goes I'm sure that is correct.

However from a legal point of view the CT terms say is is an agreement
between "you" and OSMF.

Therefore surely if "I" agree to the CT terms then legally it covers all the
edits I make.  If the intention is for it only to cover the edits "I" make
when logged in o a "specific user account", then I would have thought the CT
terms need rewriting something along the lines of

Thank you for your interest in contributing data and/or any other content
(collectively, “Contents”) to the geo-database of the OpenStreetMap project
(the “Project”). This contributor agreement (the “Agreement”) is made
between you (“You”) and The OpenStreetMap Foundation (“OSMF”) and clarifies
the intellectual property rights in any Contents that You choose to submit
to the Project, when signed is as user XXXXX.

David