[OSM-legal-talk] ODbL, CTs and tracing GPS tracks

TimSC mapping at sheerman-chase.org.uk
Mon Aug 16 18:51:25 BST 2010

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been raised before, but I was wondering about GPS
track data and licenses. Presumably we are using public GPS trace data
under CC-BY-SA. By the way, it would be helpful to clarify that on the
wiki. I'll ignore the problem of tracing other people's tracks and the
resulting relicensing issues. At the moment, I am considering how GPS
tracks work with the CT and ODbL (assuming they too will be relicensed).

Is tracing someones ODbL licensed GPS track a creation of a derived
database or a produced work?

What is the impact when we upload the traced data under the CTs? It
seems the tracing will require at least attribution (to OSM admittedly)
but possibly also share alike. Would the attribution or share alikeness
of tracing be a problem with the CTs?

I am not even going to try to speculate on the answer this time, I am
more interested in other people's views.

Regards,

TimSC