[OSM-legal-talk] Is tracing from Yahoo allowed under the CT's

David Groom reviews at pacific-rim.net
Tue Aug 17 16:29:36 BST 2010

Is there anything available which would allow a user who has signed up to
the Contributor Terms to believe that he / she is allowed to trace from
Yahoo ?

 From http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Yahoo#Legalities

"The agreement allows us to derive our vector-based map data from the aerial
photos owned by Yahoo! and to release these derived works with our open
content license " - and that licence is currently CC-BY-SA.

and from later in that page  "We don't have a written agreement explaining
exactly what is permitted. It seems to be more a case of agreeing an
interpretation of their Terms of Use. "

So if there is some documentation which shows that Yahoo agrees to users
tracing data which is subject to the CT terms then please could someone put
a reference to it on the wiki, otherwise it would be difficult to see how a
user would be able to satisfy himself that it is allowed, and for other
users to satisfy themselves that tracing from Yahoo is not a breach of the
CT's

David