[OSM-legal-talk] ODbL and duration of IP protection

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 22:58:06 BST 2010

On 19 August 2010 07:47, TimSC <mapping at sheerman-chase.org.uk> wrote:
> As I understand it, EU/UK law has a 15 years database right which renews if
> there are more recent substantial changes. If OSM continues in the long term
> using ODbL, this is effectively a perpetual exclusive right. For areas which
> rely on contract law, it seems that OSMF again retains a perpetual right
> over the data. I will try to argue this is not good.

Considering copyright law is at least 50 years, and keeps being
extended. On top of which you have most contributors are likely to be
mid-20s and up I doubt this will be an issue that will come up in
either of our life times.

There is also some people arguing that older data should expire/be
removed after a set time to make sure everything is kept fresh.