[OSM-legal-talk] New contributors and some data sources are not allowed under the CTs but too easy to access.

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 21:09:33 BST 2010

JohnSmitty wrote:

> In any case going forward unless something changes with the CTs many
> many many more people will be effected by this, does the OSM APIs have
> the ability to indicate if the account has agreed to the CTs and then
> update editors to prevent certain layers from being shown.
>
> Obviously this wouldn't prevent anyone with enough determination in
> using Nearmap or any other source of data which would be in conflict
> with the CTs but it would help newbies from making innocent
> mistakes...

A very similar mater appears to arise in a slightly different context.

Let's for the moment assume that the ODbL and CT were compatible with CC-BY
(like Ordnance Survey StreetView), NearMap and other attribution licenses
that have been used and thus can in general remain in Potlatch, Josm and the
other editiors. That however does still leave the substantial portion of
mappers who have ticked the "I declare my edits to be PD" option, which
surely makes them no longer compatible with these sources. These mappers
therefore then presumably can not use those sources without being in breach
of contract or license.

So it seems editors will need to keep track of background image licenses
anyway and with what they are compatible in order to warn or prevent the
user in an adequate way.

Luckily, the user details API call has recently received an update to
include the information of if users have accepted the CT and if they
declared their edits PD. Which means editors can be updated so that they
only display the options compatible with the users current choice of
license.

But yes, I think editors should be updated as soon as possible as to not
easily trap newbies and those mappers who don't want to be concerned with
legal matters into doing something illegal.

Kai