[OSM-legal-talk] Is CC-BY-SA is compatible with ODbL - a philosophical point

David Groom reviews at pacific-rim.net
Sun Aug 22 19:50:51 BST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "80n" <80n80n at gmail.com>
To: "Licensing and other legal discussions." <legal-talk at openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2010 6:26 PM
Subject: Re: [OSM-legal-talk] Is CC-BY-SA is compatible with ODbL - a
philosophical point

> On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 5:44 PM, David Groom
> <reviews at pacific-rim.net>wrote:
>
>> Why are we changing the licence?  Well [1] states among other things that
>> "
>> [CC-BY-SA]  is therefore very difficult to interpret",  and we have
>> indeed
>> seen this situation occur many times when people have asked what can and
>> can't be done with OSM data, and no definitive answer could be found.
>>
>> If it was unclear if something was allowed under CC-BY-SA then users of
>> our
>> data were asked to take a cautious approach.  And that seems very
>> reasonable
>> stance to take, even though it resulted in a lower than hoped for use of
>> OSM
>> data. So it was decided that since even the OSM community could not
>> categorically say how  CC-BY-SA applied to OSM data a licence change was
>> needed.
>>
>> Move forward a bit and we start to implement the new licence.  Since we
>> could not reach consensus on how CC-By-SA applied to "our" data, it seems
>> reasonable to assume that we can not assume how CC-BY-SA data applies to
>> other people data, and therefor to be safe I presume we won't simply be
>> blindly importing  CC-BY-SA data into OSM.  I presume we will be
>> approaching
>> providers of data that has a CC-BY-SA licence and asking if we can use
>> that
>> data in OSM.  So our permission to use the data will stem not from a
>> CC-BY-SA licence, but from the explicit permission given by the copyright
>> holder.
>>
>> Or am I missing something?
>>
>> David, CC-BY-SA licensed content is incompatible with ODbL+CT.
>
> CC-BY-SA derived content would not be allowed in an ODbL version of OSM.

80n
Sorry I should have made it clear that I realise that.  As I titled the
post, it was more a philosophical point that extended beyond the confines of
the CT's & ODbL.

I suppose where it ovelaps with the discussion on CT & ODbl is where I asked
if  "we will be approaching providers of data that has a CC-BY-SA licence
and asking if we can use that data in OSM.  So our permission to use the
data will stem not from a CC-BY-SA licence, but from the explicit permission
given by the copyright holder".  As such it then wouldn't  matter if
CC-BY-SA were incompatible eith the CT & ODbL as we would not be relying on
the CC-BY-SA licence, but rather on the explicit permisison.

David