[OSM-legal-talk] Compatibility of new license with old

jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 28 10:34:11 BST 2010

On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 11:25 AM, Renaud MICHEL
<r.h.michel+osm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Le samedi 28 août 2010 à 11:14, jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com a écrit :
>> The problem is that we got data also from some GIS companies who
>> wanted non commercial only. The cc protected them in some way. I will
>> have to go back and rework all the contracts.
>
> (as this is legal-talk, I must say that IANAL, thi sis only my personal
> understanding)
>
> Then you are already in problem, because the actual license used by OSM, CC-
> BY-SA, does not forbid commercial use (it doesn't have an NC clause).
>
> So if some companies provided you data with a non-commercial clause it is
> already incompatible with the current license used by OSM, so I guess such
> data should be removed, or a better agreement has to be found with tose
> companies.

yes of course, originally they wanted non commercial, I was able to
convince them to use CCSA.

we got the data under CC-SA-2.0
i am just saying that it was a compromise for them.
The companies want to protect their data and you have to show them
that the new license offers them the same protection or better than
the old.
mike