[OSM-legal-talk] [OSM-talk] ODbL vs CC-by-SA pros and cons

Albertas Agejevas alga at pov.lt
Mon Aug 30 08:24:56 BST 2010

On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 01:12:16AM +0200, jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com wrote:
> Really, I am not worried about  data integration, but getting data. It
> does not bother me that other people cannot just take my work and use
> it under a different license. My purpose in creating a map is just
> that, to create a map, to share it, to work with others to create a
> good map.
>
> Integration with other maps is not the purpose or the goal.

I think this is a really narrow-minded stand.  Many things, especially
in the IT sphere, found their use far beyond those intended by the
original authors or inventors.  Limiting the access to the information
to merely "getting the map" makes it just a bit more open than
conventional paper maps.

Want an example of a use case DB integration?  Consider flight
simulators.  It would be good to have scenery generated by combining
data from OSM with data with satellite photos, models of buildings,
altitude data.  Brushing away integration with other databases makes
the possibility of having a single download of free scenery for
free flight sims combining all that data a lot less feasible.

Albertas