[OSM-legal-talk] [OSM-talk] ODbL vs CC-by-SA pros and cons

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 11:44:10 BST 2010

On 30 August 2010 20:40, Rob Myers <rob at robmyers.org> wrote:
> I would never claim that switching from the GPL to BSD was minor. Or, in the
> majority of cases, wise. But I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

You are trying to claim that open ended relicensing is a good thing,
but at the same time you think trying to relicense a major project
like linux from GPL to BSD would be unwise, but that's effectively
what is being attempted here with the new CTs...

> If you could explain this to Linus Torvalds I'd be most grateful.

What's so hard to understand, software patents weren't an issue when
the GPL v2 was published, but were later on which is why they
attempted to address the issue, just like cc-by-sa v2 doesn't seem to
cover database rights, but cc-by-sa v3 does... evolution, not
revolution...