[OSM-legal-talk] [OSM-talk] ODbL vs CC-by-SA pros and cons

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 18:40:47 BST 2010

2010/8/29 jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com <jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com>:
> On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 1:39 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
>> I haven't made a statement about the Kosovo information. I'm sure that
>> whoever has imported it has made sure it would be compatible with future
>> license changes as suggested on the imports Wiki page for ages.
>
> Not at all, I never consider that OSm would move to an incompatible
> contract system and away from copyright/copyleft. That idea is totally
> alien to me.
>
> I have trusted that OSMF would treat the old data as valuable, if they
> don't, then it is not my problem.

actually I feel that you treated this issue a little negligent. The
import guidelines stated since 5 March 2008 (quote):
"At the time of writing (spring 2008), you are encouraged to read up
on the relicensing process currently being considered by the
OpenStreetMap Foundation, and consider how your import may be affected
if we proceed with a move to the Open Data Commons Database Licence"

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Import/Guidelines&oldid=83702

cheers,
Martin