[OSM-legal-talk] New phrase in section 2

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Wed Dec 8 00:20:17 GMT 2010

Grant

There's a lot of data out there that has licenses that at least
superficially may seem to be compatible with the OSM license.

Using such data sources is very attractive to some mappers,
for a large number of reasons, not the least that it's simply a lot
less work than going out and mapping stuff yourself.

Asking a mapper community with a majority of  non-lawyer,
non-native English speakers to determine if two licenses are
compatible (one of which will always be quite complex) with
some degree of certainty is just a joke.

And as I pointed out previously, getting formal authorization
tends to be so much work, that it doesn't even happen in cases
where the proper contacts are there.

I know you've been doing work on the "Import Catalogue"
and I hope you realize that it at least for the regions where I
have some knowledge it is missing a quite lot of stuff, in fact
it more like the tip of an iceberg.

Since there's nothing particularly special about where I live,
I have to assume it that it's going to be similar elsewhere.
Luckily most of it is tracing from orthophotos, but I just
noticed it's missing a recent import of 30'000 public transport
stops (don't panic, the license is "probably" ok (see above)
and I'll ask the importers to add it to the list).

Simon