[OSM-legal-talk] [OSM-talk] Unsetting CT flag

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Wed Dec 8 14:46:57 GMT 2010

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 9:37 AM, Andreas Perstinger
<andreas.perstinger at gmx.net> wrote:
> On 2010-12-08 14:25, Anthony wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 8:05 AM, John Smith<deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>
>>  wrote:
>> And one of those problematic details is the OSMF.  The OSMF was not
>> created to control the data.  In fact, this was a key founding
>> principle.  OSMF was created to support the project, not be the
>> project.
>
> What's the alternative?

One alternative is status quo.  Each person owns his/her contribution,
and licenses it to OSMF under CC-BY-SA.  Another alternative, which is
probably preferable, is for each contributor to grant OSMF permission
to sublicence their contributions under CC-BY-SA. Another alternative
is the situation which was presented in the original CT, which was the
one which was voted on by the OSMF members - everyone who receives the
data receives the same license as OSMF.  I'm sure there are others
which could be come up with after setting the principles.

> As I understand it, there must be someone who "owns" the database because
> otherwise you can't defend it legally.  Would you prefer a single person?

I'm not sure what you mean by "owns the database".  The copyright?
The database right?  Something else?

Who "owns" Wikipedia?