[OSM-legal-talk] CT clarification: third-party sources

pecisk at gmail.com pecisk at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 10:01:11 GMT 2010

Hi everyone!

To clarify my criticism/confusion with CT:

1) I'm not against ODbL. It is nice idea and I wholeheartedly support it;
2) I'm not against general idea of CT, I understand why it is needed;

My confusion and problem lies within fact, that while I can accept CT
if I add only my own data to OSM, I can't to do that due of
third-party sources because some of them requires attribution and
share alike. While ODbL is good enough for both of these things
(theoretically), then CT blocks, because it says that nature of the
license of imported data can change. As I'm not author of those data,
I don't have permission to change nature of the license.

About three or four months ago there was discussion about adding
clarification about "free and open license", to add both share alike
and attribution clauses. I have two questions - can it still be done,
what was working group answer to this, or if not, then why not.

Cheers,
Peter.