[OSM-legal-talk] [OSM-talk] Unsetting CT flag

Robert Kaiser kairo at kairo.at
Thu Dec 9 13:35:22 GMT 2010

Anthony schrieb:
> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Robert Kaiser<kairo at kairo.at>  wrote:
>> Anthony schrieb:
>>>
>>> One alternative is status quo.
>>
>> Good idea. We'll just have to make sure anyone using our data is located in
>> some jurisdiction where this is equivalent to PD (from all I've heard, there
>> are quite a few). :P
>
> Please explain how the ODbL changes that, in the context of case law
> regarding shrink-wrap, browse-wrap, and the OSM situation which I'm
> going to refer to as I-wish-it-were-true-wrap.

I have read from more knowledgeable people here that the ODbL does
apply, it may have been something like being a contract and not just a
license, but IANAL, so I really can't explain details.
I just know that very (to me) believable and knowing sources here have
clearly stated repeatedly that using CC-BY-SA for our data collection is
equivalent to PD in some major jurisdictions in this world, while ODbL
isn't (and though I fully would accept working under PD, I find it
unfair that people have different permissions to use our data depending
on where they live).

Robert Kasier