[OSM-legal-talk] Someone already had a look at the Bing Terms of Use?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Dec 19 10:23:32 GMT 2010

Dave,

Dave F. wrote:
> I'm just catching up with this thread & can't believe what I've just
> read. You bleat & whinge

... thanks ...

> about people talking legal in other threads &
> yet here, in legal, you admit that your advice to others that's it's OK
> to trace Bing (under any license) has no foundation other than a guess &
> a feeling.

We have a direct statement from Microsoft saying it's ok to trace. If
that's "no foundation other tahn a guess & a feeling" for you then
you're free to refrain from using Bing imagery - however I think that's
bad judgement on your part.

> I'm looking for concrete evidence & it would be better if you kept quiet
> until you had some

Absolutely not. I have written that what we have is enough FOR ME to
start tracing, and that's what it is (in fact, I have already traced a
number of buildings and roads and am continuing to do so). If it's not
enough FOR YOU, then you're free to do other things.

However, as others have pointed out, what we have from Bing now is
already *much* more that we ever had from Yahoo in terms of written
permission - and I cannot remember you being equally over-cautious about
Yahoo. Why?

Bye
Frederik