[OSM-legal-talk] Someone already had a look at theBing TermsofUse?

Andreas Perstinger andreas.perstinger at gmx.net
Wed Dec 22 17:58:24 GMT 2010

On 2010-12-22 01:24, Anthony wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 10:48 AM, Frederik Ramm<frederik at remote.org>  wrote:
>> This rule means that everything that is traced from Bing before OSM stops
>> publishing under CC-BY-SA will be available to the world, forever, under
>> CC-BY-SA. But a hypothetical CC-BY-SA fork would not be allowed to accept
>> newly traced data after the license change.
>
> I certainly didn't read it that way.  The Bing license says you must
> contribute traced data to openstreetmaps.org, but it doesn't say you
> can't also contribute traced data to a fork.

Of course you can, but at your own risk - although I'm with you that
it's very small. But as long as there is no court rule nobody knows for
sure :-).

Bing explicitly says it's ok for contributing to OSM. It doesn't mention
any other site. In my opinion a fork has to ask for approval as did OSM
if it wants certitude.

Bye, Andreas