[OSM-legal-talk] Someone already had a look at theBing TermsofUse?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Dec 22 18:44:49 GMT 2010

Anthony,

Anthony wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 2:17 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
>> I believe you could also do other things with traced data but that would
>> then be subject to the normal license, not the special license they granted
>> to OpenStreetMap.
>
> And how do believe they achieve that?  Through copyright law?  Through
> contract law?  Through some other mechanism?

Frankly, I don't care, and since I do not intend to get actively
involved in any fork, I'll not waste my time thinking about what *they*
will be allowed to do.

Anyway, the community in that fork can set their own bounds of what they
consider acceptable. They can even trace from Google and build on the
assumption that nobody will come after them. I am sure that Microsoft
has allowed data to be traced for OSM; I don't believe it is their
intent to allow tracing of data for other purposes but (a) I may be
wrong, (b) someone could always say that their intent doesn't matter
anyway. It isn't relevant to me, or to OSM.

Bye
Frederik