[OSM-legal-talk] You may not sublicense your rights under these Terms to any person

Stefan Neufeind openstreetmap at stefan-neufeind.de
Thu Feb 11 10:14:36 GMT 2010

On 02/11/2010 11:08 AM, Oliver Kuehn (skobbler) wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> you can use the data and display them on the OSM map but not import them
> into the OSM database itself.
>
> The license terms of the National Public Toilet Map dataset are not
> compliant with Create Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license, which says
> "You may distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly
> digitally perform the Work only under the terms of this License
> (Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0)".
>
> The showstopper here is viral element (heriditary).
>
> You should approach the authorities if they are willing to grant you a
> separate Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license for the data set.

Agreed, trying to ask them would be a good thing. Has helped in some
cases in the past where authorities (city government or the like)
re-thought their license :-)

By the way: Is there a list of data that can be used but maybe not (yet)
merged somewhere? Maybe that could also hold information about who tries
to approach an authority or in case we fail that data is still listed
somewhere to be "usable" for mashups etc.

Regards,
 Stefan