[OSM-legal-talk] Copyright Assignment

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Mon Jan 4 22:35:40 GMT 2010

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Henk Hoff <osm at toffehoff.nl> wrote:

> If there is a need to sue, we (the Foundation) will sue.

Hence "not copyright assignment, but basically the same thing".  You give up
the right to sue, and the OSMF gets the right to sue.

Or, as Michael Meeks said: "Various other methods are used to achieve the
same effect [as copyright assignment]. Some common ones - are asking for a
very liberal license: BSD-new, MIT/X11, or even Public Domain on the
contribution, and then including it into the existing, more restrictively
licensed work."

If some corporation makes a large donation to OSMF, and OSMF decides not to
sue them for something that I consider to be unacceptable use of data I have
contributed, there's nothing I can do.  I've given them (and everyone else
in the world) a perpetual, irrevocable license to do anything.  In the mean
time, if that corporation wants to sue *me*, for using its data plus some
copyrightable improvements, it's free to do so.  I can't even counter-sue as
a defense.

That's completely unacceptable to me.  YMMV.