[OSM-legal-talk] Copyright Assignment

Henk Hoff osm at toffehoff.nl
Tue Jan 5 00:47:22 GMT 2010

Frederik Ramm schreef:
> Hi,
>
> Henk Hoff wrote:
>
>> If there is a need to sue, we (the Foundation) will sue. Otherwise it
>> will work as a precedence towards other parties.
>>

> So the individual contributor allows OSMF to distribute his data under
> ODbL or another license they choose (within a well-defined range).
>
> However the contributor agreement does not say anything like "in return,
> OSMF promises to take suitable steps to enforce the license".
>

> Bye
> Frederik

The remark I made was related to the insinuation that OSMF might not be
going to sue a company like Cloudmade if it should deemed needed.

A good license is key to the success of OSM. But it only works if it is
enforced properly. As long as I am on the board you may quote me on this.

That being said: I am not withholding contributors anything to take
their own steps in insuring their rights. Let me be clear on that.

Cheers,
Henk