[OSM-legal-talk] [odc-discuss] Draft of an Open Data Commons Attribution License

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Jan 12 13:58:04 GMT 2010

Hi,

SteveC wrote:
> then we also need a NC version.

NC licenses are not compatible with OKFN's own definition of "Open
Knowledge", Paragraph 8:

(quote)

8. No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor

The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the work in a
specific field of endeavor. For example, it may not restrict the work
from being used in a business, or from being used for military research.

Comment: The major intention of this clause is to prohibit license traps
that prevent open material from being used commercially. We want
commercial users to join our community, not feel excluded from it.

(end quote)

Bye
Frederik