[OSM-legal-talk] public transport routing and OSM-ODbL

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 10:17:41 BST 2010

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 9:35 PM, Oliver (skobbler)
<osm.oliver.kuehn at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi Frederick,
>
>>However, in terms of ODbL the
>>route description they produce will be a produced work which is based on
>>a database derived from OSM
>
> a derivative database that is only used to create a Produced Work is
> excluded from the share-alike:

Either you mis-spoke in this sentence, or you are wrong with this
assertion. If you have a derived database, and make a produced work,
you are required to make the derived database available under the
ODbL. That's practically the whole point of the ODbL!

Section 4.5b, which amongst other things is a classic "could do with
some scoping parenthesis" piece of legalese, is only clarifying that
if the produced work is made up from a collective database, e.g.
"(derived + some other db) =>produced work" then the collective db is
not considered derived - i.e. the some-other-db can stay non-ODbL
licensed. But if you make a produced work (actually, if you "publicly
use" said produced work), then the derived database must be shared in
any case (4.4a and 4.4c).

As for Frederik's initial question, part 1. is unavoidably share-alike
as soon as the produced work is publicly used. Part 2 I'll leave for
others.

Cheers,
Andy