[OSM-legal-talk] License Cut-over and critical mass

Gervase Markham gerv-gmane at gerv.net
Thu Jul 15 16:10:23 BST 2010

On 14/07/10 04:12, 80n wrote:
> The correct way to re-license a project is to fork it.

What large body of people holds that opinion, such that you can be so
dogmatic?

We relicensed the entire Mozilla codebase without forking it. We had
99.8% (or something like that) of people agree.

Can we all stop speculating about what percentage of people, or data, or
objects, or countries are going to support it, and do whatever's
necessary so that we can actually _ask_? Then we can figure out what to
do. If the number is not 100%, no doubt people will have different
opinions. At that point, it may be that OSMF says no, others say yes,
and there's a fork. Or it may be that OSMF says yes, other say no, and
there's a fork. Or it may be that we all agree yes, or all agree no.

Let's do it and find out.

Gerv