[OSM-legal-talk] License Cut-over and critical mass

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 10:47:32 BST 2010

Rob Myers wrote:

> If we are allowed to arbitrarily redefine how votes should be counted
> then, as I say, only 6.05% of the total possible electorate voted
> against relicencing.

There appear to be some indications that the LWG are at least considering a
final vote amongst all active contributors.

If indeed they decide to hold that final vote, then all the argument about
the previous votes if it does or does not represent the community if it is
or is not a majority becomes a mute point. In that case (should it be
successful) there would both be clear statement by the community that they
accept OdBL (i.e. they relicense the data) and that the majority of active
contributors agree that the consequences are clearly acceptable (vote for
flicking the switch over to OdBL).

That would allow everyone to draw their own conclusions if the relicensing
should go ahead and particularly based on all possible facts (unlike any of
the other votes that (could) have happened beforehand)

That way, it does not matter if there are 10000 different criteria by 10000
different contributors and decisions, as there will be a clear way to
arbitrate between them to ensure one single outcome that is clearly
acceptable to the majority.

In a case of such a vote, if you think the process was fine so far, then
great. And if you think the process was wrong and unfair,  then well it was
unfortunate and OSMF should learn from it, but it is in the past and the
future is what matters. So again no point on arguing about it any more. Lets
try and make this process (what ever the outcome) no more damaging to the
community as it already is.

So how about we give the LWG a bit of time to digest this thread, discuss
the possibility of a vote right at the end and wait for a clear statement by
them. (After all, they are only voluteers too and only meet once a week, so
they will need a bit of time) Having endless discussions on if what is in
the past was right or wrong on the other hand is of limited productive
value.

Kai