[OSM-legal-talk] License Cut-over and critical mass

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 11:17:40 BST 2010

On 16 July 2010 19:57, Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh, this is ridiculous. Of course I've agreed to CC-BY-SA. The ODbL
> didn't even exist when I joined OSM - and you know that fine and well
> Etienne, you were there too when there was only 3 of us mapping in SW
> London. So it's a crazy line of argument that you are following.

It isn't crazy or ridiculous, he actually has a point, if I didn't
agree with cc-by-sa I could have spent my time contributing to google
under their license, but I don't like their license I prefer
cc-by-sa...

New users can't choose between cc-by-sa or odbl, and this is why
shrink wrap licenses get called into question, most contracts are no
longer a meeting of the minds, it's a case of take it or leave it, so
new users just have to either live with it to go and support google.