[OSM-legal-talk] License Cut-over and critical mass

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Fri Jul 16 12:08:10 BST 2010

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 11:52 AM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16 July 2010 20:39, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
>> I wouldn't exactly say I am unhappy with the status quo. It's like living in
>> a house where experts say it is going to fall apart any minute - you might
>> like to be able to retain the status quo but it's not on the menu. The
>> status quo is volatile, and is soon going to be a status quo ante - one way
>> or another.
>
> Considering how many people seem to be pro-PD, wouldn't the status quo
> be in their interests if copyright doesn't cover data?

Yes, except that it's then not a level playing field. People
respecting the spirit end up with less rights than those with enough
lawyers and legal advice who are willing to ignore the licence, and
that's no good for anyone.

Which is why I'll be agreeing to the ODbL which is pretty much status quo++.

Dave