[OSM-legal-talk] Upgrading to future ODbL version

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Jul 16 19:58:31 BST 2010

Hi,

    I noticed something that had escaped my attention until now. The
contributor terms say that OSMF will release the data under ODbL 1.0,
CC-BY-SA 2.0 or another free and open license accepted by 2/3 of active
members.

Notice the absence of any "or later" clause here. This means that if
ODbL 1.1 comes out, it will not be usable out of the box, but we would
have to go through the whole "2/3 of active members have to accept" poll
to upgrade.

Is that a desired safeguard against OKFN releasing "bad" new license
versions, or is it an oversight?

Bye
Frederik