[OSM-legal-talk] License Cut-over and critical mass

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Sat Jul 17 11:11:36 BST 2010

On 07/16/2010 09:58 PM, Liz wrote:

> After a recent High Court decision, in Australia copyright is not applicable
> to databases. Maps were not included in the Court decision, but a database was
> the subject of the case.

If this is the case then given that the CC licences are copyright
licences what would they apply to in the OSM database in Australia?

> The contract part of ODbL may not have any force either in Australia. That
> would need court hearings to determine.
> Against - It is presented as a shrink wrap licence with no opportunity to
> negotiate terms

Geodata is restricted with contracts, so it may make sense to turn that
restriction against itself. But the contract aspect is still my least
favourite part of the ODbL.

- Rob.