[OSM-legal-talk] Mixing ODbL and CC-BY-SA databases

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Jul 17 23:54:13 BST 2010

Hi,

    here's an interesting one.

Suppose OSM has just changed its license to ODbL. A final CC-BY-SA
planet has been released, non-relicensed data has been removed from the
servers, and the project is again humming along nicely (relief!).

Now I would like to make a slippy map overlay where areas are coloured
red or green or different shades in between according to how much data
is missing from the current ODbL dataset compared to the old CC-BY-SA
data set. The idea being, if an area is red, it may be worth going there
and resurveying the area because edits have been lost.

I wonder if this is possible at all. Behind the scenes, I would have to
compare the old CC-BY-SA data with the new data set to find out what
happened. My tiles would be a derived work from the CC-BY-SA data set
and as such licensed CC-BY-SA, no problem there. However, I would in all
likelihood be creating an interim database derived from the new ODbL
data set and the old CC-BY-SA data set. ODbL would require that I
release that database under ODbL. But CC-BY-SA requires that if I
release the database it must be under CC-BY-SA exclusively. Thus I
cannot release the database, thus I cannot publish the tiles.

Right?

Bye
Frederik