[OSM-legal-talk] Relicensing, PD, leverage and petitions

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Jul 18 18:41:45 BST 2010

Tim,

TimSC wrote:
> Firstly, the pro-PD people could
> propose a "strings attached" deal to OSMF as a condition for relicensing
> their data. After relicensing, the pro-PD people have their leverage
> watered down by the contributor terms.

Speaking as a pro-PD person, I think I am happy enough with what's on
the table; I do not think I have to try to twist OSMF's (or the other
contributors') arm(s).

In fact, I think there are enough people proclaiming that "unless OSMF
does <X> I will not relicense". I'd rather not be seen joining that
chorus now.

I am happy that OSMF have added the PD option to the relicensing
question, and I will try to convince as many mappers as possible to tick
it. It makes no difference for the legal side of implementing ODbL but I
hope that the Pro-PD outcome will be large enough to make a statement
which may influence what happens in the future.

I wouldn't ask for more at this time.

Bye
Frederik