[OSM-legal-talk] License Cut-over and critical mass

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Mon Jul 19 13:07:44 BST 2010

Rob Myers wrote:
> That said I don't think you'd need to export the data geographically
> in order to break the contract requirement, just leave a planet
> dump on the bus. :-/

This is _way_ beyond my pay grade, but I believe in this eventuality, OSMF
could potentially enforce the contract parts of the ODbL in England & Wales
(which is significant as OSMF is registered in E&W).

Under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999, "a person who is not
a party to a contract (a 'third party') may in his own right enforce a term
of the contract if... the term purports to confer a benefit on him".

cheers
Richard