[OSM-legal-talk] License Cut-over and critical mass

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Tue Jul 20 00:17:43 BST 2010

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010, Simon Ward wrote:
> To my knowledge the contract isn’t automatically transferred, although
> it occurs to me that it could be a condition of the licence that the
> contract is also adhered to. I’m not sure this is the case.

A good example is shrink-wrap licences which are one-sided contracts.
Some countries do not accept that they have any validity, others do.
Where I live a contract has to be agreed to by both parties, is not valid if
signed under duress and is not transferable without agreement.
So the copy left on a train (popular with UK politicians) has no contract when
i pick it up and use it, but any copyright it has is preserved.