[OSM-legal-talk] PD declaration non binding?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Jul 23 14:50:22 BST 2010

Hi,

TimSC wrote:
> You talk as if ODbL was a reality. I suspect it might be soon, but
> currently it is not in effect. How does the current license situation
> block PD? I am assuming each PD declaration is in effect immediately,
> while ODbL has yet to be adopted.

The page you quoted,

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Why_would_I_want_my_contributions_to_be_public_domain

was written for, and is AFAIK linked from, the web form where users
decide whether or not to accept the ODbL. It was never meant to apply to
the current CC-BY-SA situation, at least not by me.

I don't think anything would keep you from taking someone's data from
OSM, currently, and use it as PD. No matter whether he has declared it
to be PD or not ;)

Bye
Frederik